History buffs will enjoy exploring Delhi, and visitors give high marks for the shopping and beautiful gardens. Tourists who journey to this culturally-rich city can discover its temples, monuments, and architecture. Top sights in the city include Red Fort, Humayun's Tomb, and Swaminarayan Akshardham Temple.
- There are 1853 hotels and other accommodations in Delhi
- The closest major airport is in Delhi (DEL-Indira Gandhi Intl.), 10.1 mi (16.2 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Delhi
The city is well known for its museums and art, and cultural venues include National Museum, Malliah Memorial Theater Craft Museum, and Art Heritage Gallery. Notable for its temples, historic sites, and monuments, the city's landmarks include Red Fort, Humayun's Tomb, and Swaminarayan Akshardham Temple. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the gardens and Lodhi Garden.
In Delhi, you'll find 1853 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have plenty of choices for your holiday getaway. Here you'll find top ones based on our user reviews:
- The Leela Palace New Delhi - Guests who stay at this 5-star hotel in Chanakyapuri can enjoy access to a full-service spa and 4 restaurants, along with an in-room deep soaking tub. Expedia travelers love its WiFi and spacious, clean rooms.
- The Oberoi, New Delhi - With a stay at this 5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and 3 restaurants, along with free WiFi.
- Andaz Delhi - a concept by Hyatt - This 5-star hotel in South West features a full-service spa, 2 restaurants, and an outdoor pool. Expedia customers like its central location and clean, comfortable rooms.
Other favorite sights in Delhi include Jantar Mantar, Jama Masjid, and Chandni Chowk.
Getting Around Delhi
With so many choices for transportation, seeing all of Delhi is a breeze. You can access metro transit at Rajiv Chowk Station, Barakhamba Road Station, and New Delhi Metro Station. If you want to see more of the area, hop aboard a train from New Delhi Shivaji Bridge Station, New Delhi Station, or New Delhi Tilak Bridge Station.
Dressing for Delhi
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 90°F during the day and 42°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 104°F, while the average at night is 63°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 96°F with nighttime averages of 71°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 93°F and nighttime averages of 43°F
- About 1.14 inches of rain falls on Delhi each year
- Usually May and June are the hottest months with an average of 101°F, whereas January and December are often coldest, averaging 45°F