Travelers to Wellington give high marks for the fascinating museums, beautiful gardens, and shopping. Tourists who journey to this welcoming city can discover its waterfront, restaurants, and cafés. Top sights in the city include Civic Square, Wellington Cable Car, and Te Papa.
- There are 147 hotels and other accommodations in Wellington
- The closest major airport is in Wellington (WLG-Wellington Intl.), 3.5 mi (5.6 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Paraparaumu (PPQ), 28.9 mi (46.5 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Wellington
Well known for its museums, the city's cultural venues include Te Papa, Museum of Wellington City and Sea, and City Gallery Wellington. Attractions like Wellington Cable Car and Wellington Zoo are fun for everyone, not just kids. The city is notable for landmarks like Civic Square, Carter Observatory, and Old Government Buildings.
In Wellington, you'll find 147 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have plenty of choices for your holiday retreat. These are top ones based on our user reviews:
- Acorns Wellington Bed and Breakfast - With a stay at this 4-star guesthouse, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a terrace, along with an in-room kitchenette. Expedia travelers love its room size and location.
- Ava Lodge - Our customers love the overall value and spacious, clean rooms at this apartment. Guests who stay at this 4.5-star apartment in Petone can enjoy access to free parking and self-service laundry, along with free WiFi.
- Acorns Wellington Apartment - With a stay at this 4.5-star apartment, guests can enjoy access to free parking and self-service laundry, along with an in-room kitchen. Expedia customers love its convenient parking and central location.
Other favorite sights in Wellington include Cuba Street Mall, Courtenay Place, and Beehive.
Getting Around Wellington
With so many transportation options, exploring all of Wellington is a breeze. If you'd like to explore more of the area, hop aboard a train from Wellington Station, Wellington Kaiwharawhara Station, or Wellington Crofton Downs Station. You can take a ferry from the local port.
Dressing for Wellington
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 69°F and the nighttime average to be 53°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 65°F during the day and 43°F at night
- July through September averages 58°F during the day and 42°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 68°F during the day and 47°F at night
- Average annual rainfall for Wellington is 48.98 inches
- Hottest months are usually February and January with an average temperature of 68°F, while the coldest months are July and August with an average of 43°F