I was pretty disappointed, honestly. I mean, I understood that the low nightly rate could be telling of the quality, but this was a little much. I would recommend a stay here in emergencies and when money is an issue, but that's it.
There was a piece of tape hanging off of a lamp shade, wads of hair around and under the bed. There were burn holes in the blankets. One of the hooks in the bathroom was hanging by a screw that was struggling to stay in the wall. The shower was LITERALLY falling apart; there were huge, thick chips of the finish coming off that even just the pressure of water from the showerhead was enough to break more loose with every wash. Even though the pool was closed the area is FILTHY. There was a large pile of dog poop and garbage bags that sat waiting for SOMEONE to pick up for two days.
I was in an urgent situation and I was grateful for being able to check in right away, the cost, and the fact it was even an option, but just because a person's financial position is low doesn't mean they should have to settle for such things.
As I said, I was extremely grateful that it was an option but was shocked that ANY company would allow its facilities to operate under such conditions. The office staff was very friendly and apologetic for the conditions. But I'm sure that, as this is a major corporation their hands are tied in how much they can tackle.
I hope that motel is able to reach a greater turn around of change without having to become unaffordable.