Visitors to Carcassonne are sure to enjoy the wineries and local tours. Tourists can also enjoy the city's theaters and waterfront. A top sight in the city is Montsegur Castle.
- There are 426 hotels and other accommodations in Carcassonne
- The closest major airport is in Carcassonne (CCF-Pays Cathare), 2.2 mi (3.5 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Castres (DCM-Mazamet), 23.7 mi (38.2 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Carcassonne
The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Montsegur Castle, Aude Gate, and Basilica of St. Nazaire and St. Celse. The city's natural beauty is on display at Cabrespine Cave, La Curiosite de L'Auriol, and Lac de Montbel. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Tennis Asptt Carcassonne and Narbonnaise Gate.
In Carcassonne, you'll find 426 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have ample places to choose from for your holiday getaway. Here are top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Carcassonne Bed and Breakfast - Amenities at this bed & breakfast include free breakfast and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and helpful staff.
- La Bergerie - Our customers like the quiet location and helpful staff at this hotel. This 4-star hotel features a restaurant, an outdoor pool, and free parking.
- Château de Palaja - This 3-star hotel features a restaurant, an outdoor pool, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its convenient parking and quiet location.
Getting Around Carcassonne
If you want to journey outside of the area, ride aboard a train from Carcassonne Station, Couffoulens Station, or Verzeille Station. Carcassonne might not have many public transit options to choose from so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Carcassonne
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 59°F during the day and 37°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 79°F, while the average at night is 43°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 83°F with nighttime averages of 55°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 71°F and nighttime averages of 38°F
- Average annual rainfall for Carcassonne is 0.79 inches
- Usually July and August are the hottest months with an average of 81°F, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging 38°F