Visiting Santa Cruz
Travelers to Santa Cruz give high marks for the beaches, fun sporting events, and entertainment choices. Tourists to the city can also enjoy its walkable location. Top sights in the city include Mystery Spot, Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, and Main Beach.
- There are 199 hotels and other accommodations in Santa Cruz
- The closest major airport is in Watsonville, CA (WVI-Watsonville Municipal), 19.3 mi (31 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in San Jose, CA (SJC-Norman Y. Mineta San Jose Intl.), 22.7 mi (36.5 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Santa Cruz
Cultural venues in the city include Santa Cruz Surfing Museum, Santa Cruz Museum of Art and History, and Museum of Art & History. Notable city landmarks like Mystery Spot and Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk might be worth a visit. The beaches and hiking trails highlight the city's natural beauty with places to visit including Main Beach, Natural Bridges State Park, and Felton Covered Bridge Park.
In Santa Cruz, you'll be able to select from 199 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have plenty of choices for a perfect holiday retreat. Here you'll find top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Inn at Depot Hill - This 4-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its central location and helpful staff.
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Santa Cruz - Capitola - Our customers like the pool and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an outdoor pool, and free WiFi.
- Beach Street Inn and Suites - This 2-star motel in Westside Santa Cruz features an outdoor pool, free WiFi, and a café. Expedia customers like its family-friendly amenities and beach locale.
Popular places to visit outside the city include Winchester Mystery House, 19 mi/30.6 km from the city center, and California's Great America, which is 23.4 mi (37.7 km) away.
Dressing for Santa Cruz
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 69°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 36°F
- From April to June, the average is 84°F during the day and 41°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 86°F during the day and 47°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 82°F as the daytime average and 36°F as the nighttime average
- About 49.92 inches of rain falls on Santa Cruz each year
- August and September are usually the hottest months averaging 85°F, while December and January are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 37°F